Suppliers to the oil & gas market
The oil and gas industry is a large part of Castle Pumps’ business, with us providing pumping solutions for all stages in the process and for both offshore and on land applications. Our experience covers upstream activities; where the crude oil/natural gas mixture is extracted, treated and then transported to the refinery via pipelines or large ocean vessels, and downstream; where the crude oil is processed and turned into petroleum products such as kerosene, diesel and petrol, and then distributed to market.
Thanks to our extensive experience in supplying to the oil and gas market, we have built up solid knowledge regarding the very tight regulations that the equipment used in the industry is governed by. Compliance with the American Petroleum Institute (API) Standards refers to a pump being approved to handle hydrocarbons at high pressures and temperatures safely and reliably. API 610 covers centrifugal pumps, API 674 covers reciprocating pumps and API 675 covers controlled volume pumps.
Our technical sales engineers have also developed a great understanding of application specific requirements within the oil & gas industry. For example, for FPSO (floating production storage & offloading) applications we know that the pumps specified need to be able to deal with the harsh environment caused by the abrasive sand that may contaminate the pumped product.
Our pump range for the oil & gas industry
Pumps are used during every stage that the oil & gas industry go through. At the production stage pumps are required to extract the crude oil/gas mixture and for the separation process where chemicals, water and sediments are removed. During transportation, refinery and distribution pumps are required to empty and fill storage containers and vessels, to circulate the stored product when in storage and to strip tank of remnants.
Castle Pumps have a full range of API 610 centrifugal pumps, API 674 screw pumps and API 675 progressive cavity pumps for handling hydrocarbons, as well as pumps with ATEX approved motors designed for the safe transfer of flammable liquids in a potentially explosive environment.
A small selection of the applications we supply pumps for include:
- Multiphase pumps – These enable the extraction of the crude oil/gas/water mixture from a drilled well without separating the liquids from the gas.
- Booster pumps – If the crude oil is being transported to the refinery via a pipeline, a booster pump station is required to move it along.
- Loading/Unloading Pumps - If the crude oil is to be transported to the refinery via a ship or lorry, or the final product from a storage tank to the end user, then a pump will be required to transfer it on board and unload it when at the destination.
- Circulation pumps – To avoid separation of crude oil stored in tanks before reaching the refinery, it must be circulated. It must also be circulated within the storage tank once refined, in order to maintain a homogenous product with constant viscosity over the tank.
- Stripping pumps – The product remaining at the bottom of a tank where crude oil or the finalised product is stored is usually viscous and containing solids. A stripping pump must be used to remove these remnants.
- Slops & drains pumps - Used to collect leakages from equipment in upstream production facilities and downstream refinery operations, which can then be pumped to the separator.
Some of our oil & gas projects
Here are some case studies that illustrate examples of the solutions that we have supplied to our oil & gas customer base.
Oil drilling company
3 x progressive cavity pumps c/w ATEX motors for oil based mud transfer
Subsea oil & gas company
1 x progressive cavity pump sludge pumping