Customer: Oil Drilling Company
Application: Oil based mud pump
3 x Progressive Cavity Pumps with ATEX motors
- Application: Oil Based Mud
- Installation: Horizontal
- Pump body: Grey cast iron GG 25
- Outlet connection: PN16 DN80
- Stator: NBR + thermic probe PT100 EX II 1/2 GD EEx d IIC T4
- Rotor: AISI 420B / W. 1.4028 induction hardened 55-59 HRC
- Motor Type: Planetary variable speed EX PROOF with electric motor 4KW 4P 3Ph B5 - IP55 II 2GD Ex d IIB T4
- RPM: 1711
- 260V / 440V 60Hz
- Rotation speed: 56RPM – 293RPM
- Flow rate m³/h: 3.6m³/hr – 19m³/hr
- Discharge pressure: 2-3 Bar
- Max power absorbed: 3.5Kw
- Solid passage: 32mm soft, 16mm hard
- Dry run protection
Castle Pumps were approached by an oil and natural gas company installing a new piece of drilling equipment aboard their offshore platform. They required high viscosity pumps to transfer the oil based mud which is a fluid used during the drilling process. The viscosity of oil based mud can vary and it contains both soft and hard solids. There were various special requirements for these oil based mud pumps including explosion proof ATEX motors, dry running protection devices and variable speed drives.
We have experience with transferring viscous slurries and knew our range of progressive cavity pumps would be well suited for the application. The Diamond series can handle up to 1,000,000CP and is able to transfer both soft and hard solids in suspension.
We supplied progressive cavity pumps complete with ATEX motors, planetary variable speed drives and thermic probes that protect the pumps against dry running. To ensure the pumps were as reliable as possible and to avoid any down time, we also supplied two years operational spares for the pumps including stators and rotors. Further to that, we supplied counter flanges for the pumps to allow them to be installed immediately when they arrived at site.
These progressive cavity pumps were manufactured in under five working weeks and packed in wooden crates according to ISPM 15 and delivered directly to site in Angola. This project is another example of Castle Pumps’ flexibility in ensuring all of the customer’s requirements are met.